HMRC time to pay
For those that need extra time to settle tax affairs, businesses and the self-employed alike, can agree to a ‘Time to Pay’ arrangement.
If you cannot pay a Self Assessment tax bill
You can make your own Time to Pay arrangement using your Government Gateway account, if you:
- Have filed your latest tax return
- Owe less than £30,000
- Are within 60 days of the payment deadline
- Plan to pay your debt off within the next 12 months or less
What you’ll need to make a Time to Pay arrangement
When you set up a Time to Pay arrangement you’ll need:
- The relevant reference number for the tax you cannot pay (such as your unique tax reference number)
- Your VAT registration number if you’re a business
- Your bank account details
- Details of any previous payments you’ve missed
HMRC will ask you:
- How much you can repay each month
- If you can pay in full
- If there are other taxes you need to pay
- How much money you earn
- What you usually spend (including bills and entertainment) each month
- What savings or investments you have
If you have savings or assets, HMRC will expect you to use these to reduce your debt as much as possible.
Find out more here.